Meet the Chromation Spec, a new generation of compact spectrometer
- The Chromation Spec is a compact, low-cost, easier to use alternative to traditional grating spectrometers.
- The current generation offers broadband UV/VIS/NIR response (~275-1050nm) with 15nm FWHM
- Our roadmap includes a chip version to address the growing demand from mobile/wearable/disposable applications and extension to longer wavelengths.
- Range: 275-1000nm
- Resolution: FWHM 17nm (center range)
- Power requirements (with interface PCB): 5-30mA @ 5V while sampling (typical sampling time is 20-100ms)
- Dev kit interface: USB
- Component interface: analog out, direct connection to linear detector
- Component dimensions: 10x5x3 mm
Two key innovations
A folded optical path with integrated apertures, mirrors, and absorbers structure incident light.
Photonic crystal scattering creates broadband spectral selectivity in a small volume.
The combination of these two key innovations create an easy to manufacture element that contains all of the optical functionality for a spectrometer. These dies are fabricated at the wafer scale using scalable processes, and have a simple stacked alignment to the detector.
Chromation has created the world's first commercial photonic crystal spectrometer. The technology provides best-in-class spectral range with competitive spectral resolution in an highly compact form factor. The optical component is manufactured using a scalable silicon-compatible process for a low component cost, and the designs scales down to chip scale. The Chromation Spec is the first product using this technology. It delivers new capabilities for integrated applications and can be deployed into distributed sensor networks.
Value in Applications
Custom packages, device modifications, and application engineering services are available.